artificial intelligence and the introduction of a basic income system

How Can You Prevent Robots Taking Your Kids’ Jobs?

International experts are calling on schools to introduce Artificial Intelligence (AI) to the curriculum. Failure to do so might leave future generations jobless and lost.

The ABC reported that Professor Rose Luckin, said we need training to ensure AI isn’t used ‘as a technology that takes over human roles and dumbs us down.’

Australia is hosting a group of experts in both AI and education, to find the best ways to tackle growing job automation. They believe that we need to tackle the issue from the ground up.

Leslie Loble said ‘when today’s kindergartner leaves high school, the world will look quite different.’

The ABC estimates that 86% of jobs in construction and mining are susceptible to automation. And the remaining 14% will need to understand how to work AI tech to stay employed.

Though, not all jobs are equal. According to Alpha Beta, information and communication technology (ICT) managers will be safe, with only 12% of their jobs likely to become automated. Maybe it’s a good thing to learn coding after all! Assuming, of course, AI doesn’t enable machines to program themselves better than we can.

These struggles aren’t entirely new. Back in the 1970s, students could take typing classes.

Today, typing is almost as natural to kids as speaking. Kids in primary school are already beginning to learn complex computer tasks, like coding.

Teachers were hesitant to introduce handheld calculators to the classroom in the 1970s. They didn’t want people to get lazy and lose valuable skills.

Today, students are using complex calculators, better described as computers. And the focus in maths classes has begun to shift from knowing the ins and outs of the equations…to knowing how to utilise the tech, making students do more with less.

Now these experts are suggesting it needs to go a step further. Rather than just learning basic computer skills, students will need to learn how to incorporate AI tech into each individual field.

And learning to master AI, rather than excluding it, could be the answer to saving jobs for our kids.

Similar to learning the complex calculators. The tech might do the hard yakka, but if the students know how to use that tech, there may be jobs for your kids yet.

Brittany Prentice

Brittany Prentice

Brittany Prentice is a skilled writer here at The Australian Tribune. She has a double degree in Literary Studies and Linguistics from Monash University. She has made contributions to language textbooks in Australia, and translation for robotics software in Japan. She has an appetite for sharing big ideas in business, finance, and politics both locally and around the world.

Comments: 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *